We are looking for a senior-level UX/UI Product Designer to join our team and help lead engagements with our clients, collaborate with other designers in the company, and work with developers to get your visions built. We work on big software problems typically focused on enterprise, business-to-business clients.
As a designer you will work on complex, workflow-driven designs centered on mobile, desktop, app, and web applications. The ideal candidate has a high level of curiosity, empathy for our customers, a passion for creating the best customer experience, and a zeal for mining and analyzing data and research to drive optimal design solutions from concept to product launch. We’re also looking for a candidate with strong ideation, information architecture, prototyping, and visual design skills.
You will work with our front-end developers to build amazing experiences using the latest technology. This position is headquartered in San Diego, CA, but allows for flexible work schedules with up to 100% remote work. We are trying to build a fun and creative design culture so the ideal candidates will be located in San Diego and can come to the office to innovate together on occasion, but it's fine by us if you want to be a creative superstar from somewhere else in the US. We do not have strict hours or a dress code. Simply put: if you are a professional, reliable designer desiring creative work on your own schedule, this is the job for you.
- Figma (or Sketch and we will train you in Figma)
- User / stakeholder interviews and requirement gathering
- Persona development
- Wireframing/interaction design
- Workflow diagramming / journey mapping
- Information architecture / taxonomy creation
- Implementing design patterns and leveraging existing components
- Updating and maintaining component and style libraries, design systems
- Build prototypes with Figma
- Run usability tests with usertesting.com and other online tools
What you will do
Your primary responsibility is to work with internal and external stakeholders, clients and customers to design solutions based on requirements.
- Conduct phone calls / online meetings with various individuals to turn rough requirements into specific workflows and stories.
- Layout ideas using Figma (and FigJam) to capture the design ideas and prepare any supporting flows to communicate your ideas.
- Present and defend your designs to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Document your designs to clearly communicate requirements to the developers.
- Review implemented designs to ensure quality and adherence to the specifications.
- Work with other designers to maintain the pattern and style libraries for the product.
The most important requirement of the job is communication. All communication is done via Slack/Zoom/Hangouts, which means you respond quickly in Slack to questions and you do not hesitate to reach out and discuss concerns, questions, or issues with the team. Of course, you are ultimately measured on the quality and timeliness of your output, but we have seen many competent consultants fail; they failed not because they could not design, but because they were not good at communicating status or working with the team to achieve common goals.
What we seek
- At least 6 years experience producing designs for enterprise software products.
- Someone with an eye for detail, who is able to take requirements and produce pixel-perfect designs that others understand.
- A clear communicator that is able to articulate problems and present designs to clients. If you don’t like to speak in front of groups, or don’t like interacting with other humans, then this job isn’t for you.
- Self-motivated individuals who know they need to get a job done and do not require constant hand-holding or oversight.
- Someone who desires some blend of remote work and autonomy. This is not for you if you think of work as a chance to meet people and make friends around the water cooler. You also need to be able to clearly separate your work time from the rest of your life and diligently get the job done.
- We're a small company which means that each hire has an outsized impact on the direction of our merry gang. If you want to help captain the ship and want to learn and grow as a designer with an entrepreneurial spirit, this might be a fun cruise.
Experience/knowledge in the following technologies are also highly desirable but not required
Border is UX strategy, design, architecture and development agency headquartered in San Diego, California. We bring startup thinking to big enterprise. Our unique agency approach enables our designers and developers to take a deep dive on client engagements. By limiting the number of concurrent projects, you get to work on a variety of challenges, but our focus on work-life balance means you're not overworked. We're San Diego to our core and know that life is sweetest when we're creatively solving tough problems while enjoying nature, friends and family in equal amounts.
Border is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
*Please include your portfolio in your application. Your portfolio should show examples of the user-centered design process, design thinking, as well as your final design solutions. We are looking for cross-platform examples, if you have mobile design solutions please include them!
US ONLY APPLICANTS
Ready to join the team?
Send your resume or CV to email@example.com